There are a number of devastating events that, should they occur, would create serious problems for your family. These events can include floods, tornadoes or other natural disasters. It is never too late to get prepared, and the first step is to build a disaster kit for you and your family.
We also recommend that everyone review their personal insurance program, specifically your homeowner’s insurance, to make sure that you have the right coverage in the event of a disaster.
A basic emergency kit should include the following:
- Three day supply of food and water
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Basic tools
- Solar power source for smart phone
- Dust masks for every family member
- First aid kit
Other items to consider
- Create a personal backpack for each family member
- Have a pre-determined meeting place if separated from family
- Think about what your pet needs may be
- Would you need to build a shelter? Having plastic sheeting might help
Basic services such as electricity, gas, water, sewage treatment, and telephones may be cut off for days, a week, or longer. Your supply kit should contain items to help you manage during these outages.
The America Red Cross offers more help,Here
As an independent insurance agent we can offer accurate coverages with the personal touch you would expect from your neighborhood insurance agent.