One of the most important things an employer can do is hire the best possible person for the company. In the current employment market it is easy to lose sight of how employee selection is directly tied to employee injuries. Hiring the wrong person can put your worker compensation program at risk. Fortunately, there are actions you can take to help prevent workers compensation losses through the right hiring processes:
• Always require a formal application for all employees
• Conduct detailed interviews
• Check references
• Conduct background checks and drug testing as the law allows
• Train your interviewers to watch for indicators of past job performance issues, these might include applicants who offer vague responses, quit a previous job without notice or show negative patterns of behavior in their job histories
• Be aware of any past employee fraud issues, this may include being fired or blaming others for performance issues
• Have clear job responsibilities and share these with a potential employee
• Develop a return to work program
• Your job description should have specific physical demands outlined, and the employee should sign they can meet these demands
Workers compensation is an important part of your business insurance program. It is required by state law that your business has workers compensation insurance.
As a business owner, you go to great lengths to provide a safe working environment for your employees. Workers compensation continues to be a significant cost driver for most employers, and understanding all the factors that can drive your workers compensation cost can often be complex and time consuming.
Mid States Insurance Agency has two separate and distinctive departments with separate goals:
We are a full service independent insurance agency with the ability to help with all lines of insurance from personal auto, home, umbrella, boat, motorcycle, life and health, to the business owner with complex needs. We represent many of the TOP insurance carriers and are available to listen, learn and guide you though your insurance needs. We will take a comprehensive approach to your insurance that considers the best balance of coverage and cost. We are proud to be licensed in Illinois, Kansas, and Missouri.
We also have a second division that is focused on providing perpetuation solutions as well as back room support to existing agencies. We help an agent do what they do best, sell insurance and leave the rest to us. We are actively looking for agencies looking to partner and secure the perpetuation of their life time work. We can help them secure that the years of commitment to their agencies get the reward they deserve and will allow the agent to continue to work in the agency and remain a partner and protector of the customers they have worked so hard for over the years.
We concentrate on maximizing your agencies bottom line by consolidating services that are duplicated in every agency, providing superior service to the agent and customers allowing them to focus on the acquisition of new business knowing that they are our partners in the growth, sales, service and profitability!