Home Page Home Page Our Locations Contact Us Member Login
Life & Health Insurance Auto Insurance Business Insurance Homeowners Insurance

Special insurance for college bound children

By this time of year, many high school seniors are preparing for their next level of studies.  Their plans may include heading off to college in another city or state.  One of the most important things they will need at school is something that doesn’t have to be packed at all – the right insurance coverage.

Is Your Child Renting a Home or Apartment?

If your child is renting a home or apartment with others, you may want to consider a renters policy.  The concern is that roommates can create liability for you if their actions cause a loss, (parties, drinking, etc.).  You might be exposing own liability insurance thus increasing your premiums over time.  We usually recommend a separate renters policy to keep the liability separate.  This will keep any liability separate from your individual policy.

As parents it is important to understand how sending your child off to college may impact your insurance needs.

Typical Insurance Issues- (living in dorms)

Personal property - Depending on the value, items like clothes and computers should be covered under your homeowner’s policy.  Most homeowner’s policies provide 10 percent of Coverage C (Personal Property) for your property while it is at a secondary residence. If you have a high deductible on your homeowner’s policy, you may want to consider purchasing a renter’s policy for your college student to cover his/her belongings at a lower deductible.  Check with our office for any limitations.

Jewelry or other high-end items – These may require special coverage.  It is a good idea to call our office for a review.

Personal Liability - This coverage is provided anywhere the student goes unless it is outside of the US.  Then the policy may have some limited coverage.

What Will An Auto Policy Provide?

Auto - If your child is living in a different city or state without a vehicle, please notify us as there may be an additional discount since they are not a full-time driver.  We do recommend keeping your child on your policy, even if they don’t have a car at college.

Other coverage

Health - Children can remain on your health policy until the age of 26. 

Once your child graduates and moves out of your home you and your child will need to make different decisions regarding their insurance needs.  We recommend you contact us to review all the exposures with you, which will allow us to create individual solutions for you.

Mid States Insurance Agency has two separate and distinctive departments with separate goals:

We are a full service independent insurance agency with the ability to help with all lines of insurance from personal auto, home, umbrella, boat, motorcycle, life and health, to the business owner with complex needs.  We represent many of the TOP insurance carriers and are available to listen, learn and guide you though your insurance needs. We will take a comprehensive approach to your insurance that considers the best balance of coverage and cost.  We are proud to be licensed in  Illinois, Kansas, and Missouri

Posted 12:12 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014

View Mobile Version
Mid-States Agencies   9201 Watson Road, Suite #100   |   St. Louis, MO 63126   |   Phone:314-919-2057 Powered by Insurance Website Builder
Home Page About Us Our Services Make a Payment Get A Quote Contact Us Our Blog RSS Feed