Why You Need Auto Insurance
Ok, we all know driving can be dangerous, but here are the latest statistics from the auto insurance carriers.
- Motorcycle accidents have increased over the past five years.
- Auto fatalities are up 3.3%.
- Distracted drivers cause 1 in 4 accidents.
- Every day 1,000 people are injured by distracted drivers.
- 900 people a year die, and nearly 2,000 are injured, as a result of vehicles running red lights.
- Cell phone usage caused 21% of all fatal accidents.
- Medical costs have risen over 4% in the last year.
- The average auto liability claim for property damage was $3,073.
- The average auto liability claim for bodily injury was $14,653.
Your auto insurance program should have the following:
Auto Liability - Bodily Injury Liability Coverage pays for medical damages and funeral expenses for any people injured or killed in an accident for which you were responsible.
Auto Property Damage – Covers damage you do to a third party.
Auto Physical Damage -- Covers comprehensive and collision. Collision is designed to get your car repaired if you hit an object. Comprehensive Coverage covers your vehicle in the event of damage or loss from something other than a collision. This includes theft, vandalism, nature, animals.
Uninsured Motorist – This insurance pays in the event you are hit and injured by an uninsured motorist. Even though auto insurance is required, one in four drives does not carry any insurance.
Personal Injury Protection – This coverage provides no fault coverage for passengers who are injured in your vehicles.