Why Purchase Flood Insurance?
Guidelines for Purchasing Flood Insurance
Most parts of the region are subject to flooding. Flooding causes over 10 billion dollars of damage each year. Your homeowners, condominium, or renter’s insurance will not cover flooding losses. Over 20 percent of land is considered part of some flood zone. Even if you do not live in a high flood risk area, you are in some danger of loss from a flood, because 20 percent of all flood claims are filed in low to moderate flood risk areas, according to the Insurance Information Institute.
- We can help you purchase flood insurance. Most, if not all, flood policies are issued through the Federal Government.
- Flood insurance covers the direct loss from floods. Water or sewer back up is generally not defined as flooding.
- Flood insurance covers the structure and content of the covered location.
- The most flood insurance coverage you can buy is $250,000 for your home and $100,000 for the contents of the home.
- Businesses can also purchase flood insurance through the Federal program.
- There is a 30 day waiting period before coverage can go into effect. So if the flooding starts it is too late.
Having a flood insurance policy is the best way to protect your personal and business assets most fully from the cost of flood damages and loss. If you do not have flood insurance and the Federal Government declares a disaster you may not be eligible for low interest loans and other resources offered.